Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Betty Crocker Knows Best

Every once and a while I will become inspired to cook...

In the spring I found this great recipe for "Impossibly Easy Zucchini Pie" on the Betty Crocker website. I have made it now approximately 4 times.  Not only is it easy to make, but it tastes WONDERFUL!

Ingredients:
1 Cup of Chopped Zucchini
1 Cup of Chopped Tomato
1/2 Cup of Chopped Onion
1/3 Cup of Grated Parmesan Cheese
2/3 Cup of Pancake Mix
(of course they suggest Bisquick®, but any brand will do) 
3/4 Cup of Skim Milk
2 Eggs
1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
1/4 Teaspoon of Pepper

Most naturally I add to this list of ingredients! I want to eat this "pie" at my main entree so I add 1 cup of chopped Trader Joe's Smoke Apple Chardonnay Chicken Sausage. 


The great thing about the chicken sausage is that it is already fully cooked and of course all natural!!  Not only does the sausage add protein to this yummy "pie", but it adds a light sweet flavor.

For the pie crust I usually use a pre-made frozen crust that you just thaw and place in a pie dish - I can't say that I have ever been daring enough to make my our crust...

Step 1: Preheat oven to 400. 
Step 2: Sprinkle zucchini, tomato, onion, and cheese (plus the chick sausage) evenly in the pie plate.
(I prefer to mix these ingredients first that way all is evenly dispersed in the pie plate)
Step 3: Mix remaining ingredients (pancake mix, milk, eggs, salt and pepper) until blended. 
Pour evenly into the pie plate.
(I also like to add more Parmesan (preferably freshly grated) on the top before cooking)
Step 4: Bake for about 35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes.
Step 5: Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment