Saturday, January 22, 2011

You can pick your friends.....

....but you sure as hell can't pick your family.

I don't know about you, but I LOVE my family as crazy, dysfunctional, strange, annoying, overwhelming, overbearing, controlling as they can be, I love everything about them!  They complete my life.  I can honestly say that I don't know where I would be without them.  I am SO blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life.  Now, the great thing is that we are growing in size!

I have a niece and nephew who are my world!  Their pictures are displayed all through my apartment, a photo of them is my background on my laptop, and I display a photo of them at work!  When I go "home" they are who I spend the majority of my time with.  They make me laugh - just thinking about them right now puts a smile on my face!

I don't get to see my family as much as I would like, but that just makes those times I do that much better!  I enjoy our adventures together whether it is a group of us flying across the country for a wedding, playing beer pong in homemade costumes after Christmas or Easter dinner, taking yearly trips to Martha's Vineyard, or dressing up for our annual golf tournament.  But the best times are sitting around the table with a bottle of wine (we usually consume much more than a bottle) and just talking.  It doesn't take much to entertain us - just give us a blood pressure machine and we will have a blast!  Seriously, one night after drinking a few during dinner we decided to take our blood pressure to see whose was the worst.

I know I can always count on my family.  When I am upset I know I can count of someone to make me laugh.  I have learned, however, that if you don't want EVERYONE to know something don't tell ANYONE.  We are not good at keeping secrets from each other.

When was the last time you sincerely told your husband, wife, partner, children, mother, father, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, aunt, uncle, cousin, niece, nephew, or friend that you truly loved them?  Why not do it today? Tomorrow? The next day? Every day?  We toss those three simple words around half heartedly - the next time you say it make sure you mean it!

There are many people who don't realize how lucky they are to have such wonderful people in their lives and they take that for granted.  I hope you are not one of those people. Appreciate everything that is given to you - the good and the bad.

"Other things may change us, but we start and end with family."
-Anthony Brandt-

No comments:

Post a Comment